Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Old Men and Their Toys

I think there is nothing funnier than seeing a man above the age of 35 on a scooter; especially when that man is pushing 65, bucktoothed, and rather portly to say the least. So when I espied this guy force his way through my commuter train, scooter in tow, I couldn't help but to snicker silently to myself. When he shoved past me, hitting me on the dome with the bag draped across his shoulder, my laughter quickly turned to irritation. Old boy then proceeded to drop the scooter in the middle of the aisle next to me, and walk further up to the front of the train to take his seat (where he quickly pulled out his Walkman...yes, Walkman). I sat there in disbelief. I couldn't believe that an "advanced" man couldn't see how that's a completely ridiculous place of rest for his toy on a packed train. Anyway, as expected, along comes the conductor who quickly sees the obstacle, dripping from the rain, beside me. After looking to several people to find out to whom it belongs, I decided to pipe up and point the man out. The conductor moved quickly to the man and told him that he had to either place the soaking-wet scooter on the overhead rack, or hold it in front of him. Again, choosing to ignore common sense, he places the scooter above a smartly dressed Black woman, with perfect hair. WRONG choice. Needless to say the scene deteriorated quickly and the scooter ended up on his lap. Word to the masses..and to middle aged men...do us a favor, leave your scooter at home.

No comments: